About me...

My heart is overflowing with a good theme; I recite my composition concerning the King; My tongue is the pen of a ready writer.
--Psalm 45:1

So yeah--aspiring writer, in love with the Word, also words wherever they may be found. This results in a rather alarming obsession with fiction, which will spill over into this blog.

ah well. Such things can't be helped. :)

Falon out.

Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

I saw it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yesterday!!! I saw it in IMAX 3D and with friends and it was awesome!!!!!

Anyway. I'm still sort of skating high on that. (We got posters. Four of them. Just for walking in the theater. They were Free. I am happy.)

Martin Freeman is a brilliant Bilbo. He just has that unflappable, somewhat dry humor though that's not quite right either, a sort of personality that says "I'd rather be sitting in my house smoking, but since I'm here I may as well make the most of it." and he does. He's the Everyman hero, a guy who just wants to get back home, and in so doing ends up becoming the bravest one of them all. It sort of reminds me of the soldiers in the Revolutionary and Second World wars. They were fighting for their home, and they won because there are some things you do not do, one of which is take a normal man's home. If he's a normal hobbit, the likelihood of you not surviving increases. If said hobbit is in the company of 12 loveable dwarves and 1 moody but still heroic dwarf (Thorin) and 1 wizard, well...your death likelihood increases dramatically.

there are quite a few battles in this movie. Some of them take place in flashbacks, but they are still very--uh...action-y.

Oh! Gollum! Gollum is spectacularly insane, talking (as in arguing) with himself. The dialogue between him and Bilbo is brilliant.

The part(s) where Bilbo finds the Ring are different than the flashbacks in the Lord of the Rings, of course, but I felt the way they did it was equally good.

Oh and Radagast! Oh, dear Sylvester McCoy, he is the brilliantly eccentric wizard who loves his animals and completely stole every scene he was in.

Even if Kili was doing his best to be all dark and handsome. :)

Bofur was amazing as well.

I'm a bit confused on whether they were trying to make Galadriel and Gandalf a couple, or just portray their friendship and loyalty. Because there's no way to do that without fangirls and shippers pouncing on it. (By the way, I realized yesterday that Galadriel is Elrond's mother-in-law.)

The scenery was amazing, more of New Zealand than we've seen, all of it lovely and fantastic.

The 3D experience is kind of odd for me. I'm not sure if it's because I wear glasses, so any other kind of lens makes my eyes hurt a little, or if everyone's like that. I'd heard that Peter Jackson (the director) was really excited about the 48 fps they were shooting in, that it made everything more clear and less blurry and better etc, but I found that sometimes, like when the camera was panning in a slow movement, it almost seemed more blurry than normal. Not sure what that was about. But the scenery did seem real. I'd heard it was so real it seemed fake, like instead of seeing a blurry castle you see a crystal clear set, but I was just impressed by everything. I think next year I'll see the regular version, though. I just don't really like 3D.

And I was a tad bit unhappy that I didn't get to hear Smaug's voice...yeah, fangirl admission there...but you will never believe what trailer they showed. Star Trek: Into Darkness. It has Benedict Cumberbatch in it. Ah, his voice! That deep voice was in a trailer and I heard it.

I'm so supremely happy with the whole entire experience yesterday that I'm not even counting yet.
Sort of.
There's 363 days until the Hobbit.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment