About me...

My heart is overflowing with a good theme; I recite my composition concerning the King; My tongue is the pen of a ready writer.
--Psalm 45:1

So yeah--aspiring writer, in love with the Word, also words wherever they may be found. This results in a rather alarming obsession with fiction, which will spill over into this blog.

ah well. Such things can't be helped. :)

Falon out.

Monday, January 6, 2014

Fairytales Reviews Announcement

Fairytales.
Odd things, they are. If you were to open a book and begin to read about a kind, hardworking girl with great beauty, her two awful sisters, their scheming mother, a wonderful handsome prince who does nothing other than search out the beautiful girl and marry her, thus making her a princess...it sounds like a Mary Sue fanfiction, doesn't it?
Yet Cinderella has always been well loved.
It makes me wonder if there is a difference between opening a book that you know is a fairytale and one that isn't. In fairytales, such things as true love and virtuous heroes and heroines can happen and do happen and are looked upon as nothing strange. And I’ll admit, the second part of that is fine. Heroes are supposed to be good. The fairytales tell morals, more often than not (for instance, you are greatly rewarded for continually having a cheerful attitude despite being forced to work as basically a slave in your own home). But why do we love them? What is it about magic and true love and spells and breaking of spells that just...settles something within us? You finish one and the adult part of you is saying, "Yeah, that really didn't make much sense and the characters--" and the childish wonder in you is just sighing in contentment at the world, because the girl worked hard and was rewarded for it. Even if it had a 'bad' ending, it was usually for a reason. The girl was selfish or vain and was punished for it.
Perhaps that's it. The fairytale world has its rules, and they are followed. You know it will happen, you expect it to happen, and when it does you are content.
However, the adult part of you that has gone through courses on Literature and knows terms like 'characterization' and 'plot' and 'suspension of disbelief' doesn't quite like the simplistic nature of fairytales and the blind faith you sometimes have to have. (The twelve dancing princesses danced every night because they did, okay? No other reason is needed.) Childish you still loves them, but adult you realizes they could be better stories.
And lo and behold, you find these wonderful books called 'fairytale retellings'.
Ah.
Oh, joy. They are the fairytales we know and love, but they make sense! The characters are believable! The plot advances in the way it should! And best of all, (as I've already said) it's still the story you love that you grew up with and the guy gets the girl or vice versa and good triumphs in the end and everything.
Suffice it to say, dear readers, that I have discovered the wonderful realm of fairytale retellings. I have already read a couple books within said genre and am endeavoring to figure out how to write a review about them, which will appear shortly. New Year and regular posts and all that. :) Sides, my blog is becoming a book review platform...I'll add a couple movies later. (Also I might try reviewing a soundtrack? *clears throat* I’m not saying I’m obsessed or anything, but I’ve found that the soundtrack for Thor: The Dark World tells a story too. And other movies, like—eh. Yeah, I’ll probably do that.)
Anyway. Expect to see Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George, Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow, also by Jessica Day George, Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis, and any others I manage to get my hands on. Speaking of, any recommendations? Hey-please-read-this-and-tell-me-if-it's-any-good requests? Starflower-involved-a-kiss-by-a-prince-and-therefore-counts nudges? It’s-a-whole-new-fairytale-so-do-it-anyway logic? Seriously, anything.
Feed me the books, dearies.

No comments:

Post a Comment